ABOUT ¬¬- SUBSCRIBE ¬¬- CONTACT ¬¬- DONATE ¬¬- HOW TO HELP ¬¬- FACEBOOK ¬¬- LINKEDIN ¬¬- TWITTER ¬¬- STORE

Friday, March 23, 2007

1963: A&M goes co-ed; 'Now What?'


April 30, 1963

My dad, who was a student at the time, said the administration waited until students left town on Friday for "Splash Day" and then made the announcement. This story led the Batt on the following Tuesday, with reaction from students including:

"I think that it is a good thing for the school but I hate to see it come."
"I came here for the corps life and there are plenty of other colleges in the state which are co-educational."
"I am a veterinary medicine major and I think that it is a big inconvenience for women to have to go out-of-state to study veterinary medicine."

Before the announcement, Cadet Slouch had this to say:


0 comments: