ABOUT ¬¬- SUBSCRIBE ¬¬- CONTACT ¬¬- DONATE ¬¬- HOW TO HELP ¬¬- FACEBOOK ¬¬- LINKEDIN ¬¬- TWITTER ¬¬- STORE

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Rob Scichili ’90: ‘Dream job’ with Dallas Stars

Howdy Ags, Rob Scichili (pronounced shick-lee) here from Frisco, Texas. I'm A&M class of '90 (BS in Journalism w minor in Business Mgmt). A few people at the blog asked if I would share a little bit about my job and my career since it is in pro sports and has been rather exciting, I must admit.

I am currently Asst. Vice President of Communications for the Dallas Stars Hockey Club. I oversee all of the team's efforts in publicity and PR, as well as our team publications and web site - DallasStars.com. This is my sixth season with the Stars and my 18th in pro sports (has it really been that long?!). Time flies.

A lot of people ask me, "How did you get that job?" The answer is quite simple really - I was lucky enough to land an internship with the Dallas Mavericks upon graduation in May of 1990 and never looked back. That's the hard part - getting your foot in the door. After that, it's all about doing the best job you can do and networking. I spent two years with the Mavericks before I was tapped by a contact I had made with the Minnesota Timberwolves and the next thing you know I was in the Twin Cities. From there it was on to the expansion Mighty Ducks of Anaheim hockey team and the Walt Disney Company (which was a great experience). I spent seven years with the Ducks and Disney Sports before moving back to Dallas in 2000 to work with the Byron Nelson Golf Classic (more networking brought me home). I was only there a year before joining up with the brand new MLB.com, working with the Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals web sites. Then the Stars job came open and I found myself with my dream job - in my hometown of Dallas working for the sport that I grew to love in the 90's. The Stars are a great organization and they have treated me well.

I've been an Aggie Football season ticket holder since I moved back in 2000 and love coming back on Saturdays in the Fall. Sports is a passion of mine and I have been lucky enough to make it a career. I love getting up and going to work in the morning. One of the fun things I am involved in right now is the publicity surrounding Dallas Stars center Mike Modano's pursuit of the American points record by a player in the NHL.

Any of you Aggies that are looking for a career in sports should go for it. It's all about experience and "who you know," as they say. But honestly it's more about "who knows you." Get yourself out there, volunteer, find an internship with a team or league. It can be at any level of sports; there are tons of minor league teams you can get experience in and it is a lot of fun. Dress for the job you want and look presentable (I know that sounds stupid but you should see some of the kids that I see coming in for interviews these days!).

When you love your job you'll go 110% every day and that is the blessing that I have had in my career so far. I count my lucky stars (no pun intended) and try and give people advice and opportunities I was given when I was starting out. You Aggies that are still in school - get over to the Athletics Dept and volunteer. Work for FREE. Those that are worried about compensation are the ones left behind because you are limiting your opportunities. Any money you take home early-on is a bonus. Your payment is a wealth of experience for your resume and invaluable contacts along the way. Your degree from A&M is very valuable. But the contacts you make with other Aggies and simply other people in the business is what will get you a job.

Good luck to all of you! My sportsmanship tip of the day - wear your A&M gear after a loss (not just after wins). Be proud of being an Aggie. We may have been outscored in the game or whatever but our rings will always shine brightly.

Gig 'em and go Stars!

- Rob
rscichili (at) dallasstars.com

0 comments: