ABOUT ¬¬- SUBSCRIBE ¬¬- CONTACT ¬¬- DONATE ¬¬- HOW TO HELP ¬¬- FACEBOOK ¬¬- LINKEDIN ¬¬- TWITTER ¬¬- STORE

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Former department head Leabo, 81, dies

Here is the obituary from the Eagle for Skip Leabo, a professor at A&M from 1967 to 1987 who was head of the journalism department for eight of those years.

From Arena's story:

His son, Peter Leabo, said his father will be remembered for his innovative teaching methods.

"He really broke a lot of traditional university molds and really energized the students to learn," said Peter Leabo. "They hated him, but they learned from him. He was the toughest professor in the world, but his love of good journalism was infectious."


Please feel welcome to leave a comment (no registration is required).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil Leabo was such an inspiration to me. He encouraged me to try things that had not been done, and push my limits.

He is one of three or four professors whose life lessons will impact me forever.

Goodbye Phil.
Cyndy Davis '84

Anonymous said...

To my friend Peter Leabo I send condolences on the loss of your father. I wasn't fortunate enough to have your Dad as a professor in Aggieland, but as I read the other heartfelt posting I know I would have enjoyed his teachings and guidance.

Regards and Gig'em
julia trigg crawford bracewell '81

Anonymous said...

I will never forget our Friday afternoon sessions of "400" where Skip Leabo would shred apart, er, critique, the week's Battalions, giving us terrific insight into what we did well and what we screwed up. He was a terrific mentor, even though we often cringed when he came to assessing one of our stories in the Batt. He was an imposing presence, but always an engaging soul. I learned much under his guidance. He will truly be missed.

Regards,
Ken Sury '86

Anonymous said...

Former journalism head brought innovation to A&M from theBatt.com