ABOUT ¬¬- SUBSCRIBE ¬¬- CONTACT ¬¬- DONATE ¬¬- HOW TO HELP ¬¬- FACEBOOK ¬¬- LINKEDIN ¬¬- TWITTER ¬¬- STORE

Friday, February 26, 2010

Ordinary people creating less Web content these days

One of my coworkers shared this interesting chart on how "social engagement is changing."

My translation: People used to blog about their cats and their belly buttons, but now they pass around links to news stories and other stuff.

Why? My theory:

Because creating good content is FREAKING HARD. Much easier to pass around the good stuff than to sit down and generate it! Social media (Facebook, Twitter) make it really easy to share links.

Said coworker (Rob Quigley, my Beatles trivia partner, Statesman social media editor and writer for Old Media New Tricks) says he believes this is good news for newspapers. I optimistically agree!

2 comments:

The Mow Angry Monologues said...

Twitter and Facebook almost makes blogging an extinct life form. It's so much easier to "retweet" than to make new content. Plus with the infusion of journalists who are out of work now blogging, regular folks feel left out.

Sue said...

Lord I hear you about the laid-off journalists. I'm grateful every day for my job. Also, full disclosure: I have repeatedly blogged about my cats. So far, not my belly button.