ABOUT ¬¬- SUBSCRIBE ¬¬- CONTACT ¬¬- DONATE ¬¬- HOW TO HELP ¬¬- FACEBOOK ¬¬- LINKEDIN ¬¬- TWITTER ¬¬- STORE

Monday, May 21, 2007

Lost to the dark side

In his "College Life 101" column for the Palestine Herald, UT sophomore Robert Rich writes:

For practically the entire length of my childhood, I had convinced myself that I was going to be an Aggie when I grew up. Texas A&M was my home and that would never change. Well, it DID change, all because the Aggie journalism program came under harsh scrutiny for being too easy and was eventually phased out of the college’s curriculum all together. Just like that, my college of choice was no longer an option because I couldn’t major in the field I wanted to if I went there. Enter the University of Texas at Austin, a school that still has a journalism program, and a very good one at that. One year later, and I’m thankful that I didn’t go to Texas A&M. VERY thankful.


He is gracious about A&M in general, though of course clearly
incorrect about journalism being phased out altogether.

Disturbing to find such a view of A&M journalism being published, but sadly it's not an uncommon view now.

Also disturbing, but again probably not uncommon: Somebody who was determined to be an Aggie and a journalist just a year ago was so discouraged that he went to another school. (In any case, I'm glad he's found a fit that's right for him and wish him the best!)

0 comments: